Friday, February 24, 2012

Slight lament about medical knowledge

At times I get so sick of the "medical" community not understanding molar pregnancy leading to me having to educate. The biggest example of this is for my "battle" with the group insurance company my company uses for short-term disability. I use battle loosely as it was really more of an inconvenience and time waste if anything. They didn't give me a hassle when I told them they had inaccurate information. It was handled in two weeks with two letters written and faxed, but it is the principle of the matter.

As is standard when you sign up for a new policy the ask questions, one of which asks about surgeries. I had to put the D&C there as it is considered one. Now, I know that this is not medical professionals necessarily reviewing this, but I would expect them to have an idea that a D&C prevents a pregnancy from continuing. Imagine my dismay when I found out that the insurance company denied by plan as I was "currently pregnant".

The only reason I can think of is that there is the word pregnancy in "molar pregnancy". Now MP was only written as a diagnosis under the results of the D&C surgery column, which as I state before precludes continued pregnancy. It just seems like common sense to me.

I also had a random experience when I had to get x-rays due to the diagnosis. The technician did a quick Google search. Seriously, he told me this and then proceeded to ask me if I could explain better as well as whether I was pregnant. Mind you this was probably less than an hour after finding out it was molar and two weeks out from D&C so I was still slightly emotional (though mostly numb) about the whole thing.

I don't mind most other questions from everybody else though it is hard to explain sometimes. It is also hard when people ask if that means there really wasn't a baby. I don't know why they ask, but I have trouble as it really is philosophical question. There never was or would have been a fetus with my MP, but I still had all the hopes and feelings (physically and emotionally) of early pregnancy. I guess the moral of the story is think before you speak.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, that was so unprofessional of that tech to ask you about the diagnosis. I'm glad the STD issue got straightened out.

    ReplyDelete